We have created many a memories in our lifetime surrounding the Indian flag. Standing ramrod straight while the tricolour is being hoisted at the school, to waving the flag zealously to and fro to demonstrate our support for the national cricket team, we have indeed created several passionate memories surrounding it.
But aside from simply holding it or paying it honour, how many of us are even remotely aware of the fundamental facts about ‘The Indian Flag’. This independence day, let’s see how many of you can answer these questions about the Indian National Flag!
Let’s find out!
1. Who is the designer of the Indian National Flag?
Ans. Pingali Venkayya
2. By the Indian Law, what material is used to make the flag?
3. How many spokes does the Ashoka Chakra have?
4. Which is the only unit in India that has the right to the production and supply of the Indian flag?
Ans. Karnataka Khadi Gramodyoga Samyukta Sangha, Hubli
5. When and where was the first national flag hoisted?
Ans. On August 7, 1906 at Parsee Bagan Square or the Green Park in Calcutta
6. When, where, and by whom was the Indian flag hoisted outside the country?
Ans. In Germany by Bhikaji Madame Cama in the year 1907.
7. Private citizens of India were not allowed to fly the national flag on days other than the Independence Day and the Republic day till an Indian industrialist filed a PIL in the High Court of Delhi. This resulted into an amendment in the Indian Flag Code by the Union Cabinet of India, as a result of which any private citizen can today fly the national flag on any day of the year. Who was this Indian industrialist?
Ans. Naveen Jindal
8. A momentous feat was achieved on 29th May 1953 with regards to the Indian national flag. What was it?
Ans. Indian national flag was hoisted on Mt. Everest.
9. Where can you spot the flag positioned during a public meeting in a hall?
Ans. On the speaker’s right-hand side, which symbolises authority.
10. What record does India hold with regards to the flag of India in the Guinness World Records?
Ans. More than 50,000 Indians gathered YMCA Grounds in Chennai, and formed world’s largest human flag on 7th December 2014.
11. What do the three colours of the national flag of Indian signify?
Ans. Saffron - courage and sacrifice
White - peace and truth
Green - faith and chivalry
12. What record does Indian flag hold with regards to the Moon?
Ans. India became the 4th country to plant the national flag on the moon carried by Chandrayaan-1. The other three nations to have already achieved this feat are Soviet Union, United States and Japan.
13. By whom was the earliest flag of India designed?
Ans. The Irish disciple of Swami Vivekananda, Sister Nivedita designed the first ever flag of India. The colours used were red and yellow, wherein red symbolised ‘freedom’ and yellow symbolised ‘victory’. It bore the text ‘Vande Mataram’ written in Bengali.
*Disclaimer - We have done our very best to provide factual information. If you find any of it inaccurate, please feel free to let us know, and we will be happy to change it.
Author : Satarupa Hajra