Want to see these smiling faces? It’s the Bayon Temple at Angkor. This popular Khmer temple was built by King Jayavarman VII in late 12th century. It attracts travellers by the baroque style of Khmer architecture. On your trip to Cambodia, you’ll realise that the locals are quite friendly - they’re always smiling. The secret to their happiness is the inspiration they derive from these smiling stone faces of the bodhisattva, Avalokiteśvara. The locals believe that this temple is located at the intersection of heaven and earth.
Catch a glimpse of the beauty of this intriguing country.
1. Sacred Hindu bas-relief at the Angkor Wat complex
2. Beautiful Buddha statue exuding serenity in Angkor Wat
3. Ancient Khmer Temple at the Angkor Wat complex
4. Stone bas relief with maidens and temple dancers in Angkor Wat
5. Female god carving in Hindu and Buddhist mythology, Angkor Wat
6. Carvings depicting the ancient lifestyle in Angkor Wat
7. Paradise Beach with palms and lounge chairs at Koh Rong
8. Bracelets hung as a Sign of Remembrance at the Killing Fields
9. Royal Palace at Phnom Penh, the capital city of Cambodia
Plan your next holiday to Cambodia and explore this mysterious haven like never before.
How to reach here
By flight: Nearest Airport, Siem Reap International Airport
Author : Vijaylaxmi Thakur