When we say nightlife, your mind - according to your taste of course; must have either conjured up a place with really hip music or a place where youngsters scramble for space just to groove. But, when we talk about Penang, we’re talking about a whole new viewpoint of nightlife. We’re talking about a different side of Penang that is hard to discover in any ordinary Malaysia Tour Package!
We present you with a list of the most unconventional yet engaging places in Penang- Malaysia’s island jewel.
1. After Dark Shopping: Jalan Batu Ferringhi deserves an honourable mention for not only having the most extensive stretch of outdoor retail offerings but also for the lesser known 'After Dark Market'. Here, the after dark market has a really great turn out every evening, and it is a patron’s secret that haggling here is tough, and not impossible. This street is also known to have the best beach frontage on the whole island.
2. Beach Bars: What’s better than sipping your delectable and dainty glass of your favourite cocktail on a great evening, not to mention with a really great bar with plentiful options? It is the feeling of sand between your toes as you indulge in all of the above. Yes, Beach Bars are Penang’s speciality and the beach border of Jalan Batu Ferringhi will provide you with dynamic options such as the Carribean-style bar and the ultra posh QEll !
3. Rooftop Bars: Allowing patrons to experience a whole new vibe and class, Penang has only recently joined the league of cities having with splendid rooftop bars. Enjoying your drink with a visual treat of the best views of the island city, how else can you make your evening better?
4. Street food: A popular with the tourists, the famous New Lane Hawker Centre doubles with vibrancy as the night approaches. Not only New Lane Hawker Centre, but also sprawling venues like Gurney Drive Hawker centre, Long Beach food court are popular local places where yummy food is available at great prices!
5. Kek Lok Si Temple: Didn't we tell you this list is not going to be an ordinary list? The sweet aroma of incense in the air and the wafting smell of candles burning at the altar at the architectural marvel of Kek Lok Si Temple,which is spread over a sprawling area of 10 acres adds a certain sense of peace to the evening. It also provides a great background for taking pictures.
6. Penang Sunset Cruise: There was no way this could not be on our list! Famous for being a cruise with a difference, the Penang Sunset Cruise is also a novel way of discovering the Penang National Park. It starts at 17:00 hours and while there is plenty of light to marvel at the natural glories of the park, the return journey to the jetty is equally breathtaking on account of the view of the setting sun.
Author : Roshal Mascarenhas